Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Summer Realization

This week I've been thinking about what my goals for Summer 2008 were for me and how far I have gotten towards achieving them. I have come to realize that I have almost taken advantage of my first summer in several years of not working full-time. Don't get it twisted though that because I didn't work full-time this summer meant that I was free as the wind with all the time in the world to kill. Quite the contrary, I enrolled in my most dreaded and for some reason difficult near deabilitating subject I've ever had to fight through to barely pass, Calculus. Yes, that's right the Calculus that comes after Pre-Calculus exept plainly a pain in the ass. My thoughts on the matter are that my former high school Calculus teacher, which I will not name in the kindness of my heart, has some how installed a barrier in my mind that no matter what I do or how much I spend trying to grasp the information, it just does not seep in. Well long story semi-short, I endured 6 weeks - 1 week that I was in Tahoe of basically boredom, confusion, and the occasional well rare breakthrough in understanding Calculus. In the end, I am hopeful that I passed one more class in the series so that will leave me with only 1 more to go out of 3 classes. The only clear benefit was that I bicycled there almost everyday and doing so got back in shape and cut down on greenhouse emissions.



Now on a brighter note, I was entrusted by my dentist/family friend to instill correct principles and ideals in her 5 children. 3 boys and 2 girls, which happened to be so out of control that the family was on the Fox show Supernanny. This just gives a sense of how out of control and unguided these children were. My dentist has seen the way I've been brought up and how I've turned out thus far and asked me to guide what's most precious to her back in the right direction. I have to say that working with these kids this summer was extremely rewarding seeing them change right in front of my eyes and here reports from my dentist that even at home they were improving. The surprising thing is that I did not spend much time with them besides a few hours a day, a few times a week. My friend's dad calls it the "Chris Wing Tough Love Camp." I wish I had more time in my summer/life to help them out even more though.

With a little less than a month left since I have to go back to San Diego for work 2 weeks before school starts and I am out to Hawaii in a little over a week for a week, it would seem that my team back at home is limited. I still have a few projects left to finish though before I ship out again...

No comments: